Objective: prepare a pure, dry sample of lead (II) sulfate (PbSO₄).
Preparing a pure, dry sample of lead (II) sulfate (PbSO₄) from lead (II) nitrate solution (Pb(NO₃)₂) and sodium sulfate solution (Na₂SO₄).
Pb(NO₃)₂ (aq) + Na₂SO₄ (aq) → PbSO₄ (s) + 2NaNO₃ (aq)
- Mix similar volumes lead nitrate solution and sodium sulfate solution in a beaker. The precise volumes do not matter since any excess will be removed later.
- A white precipitate of lead (II) sulfate will form.
- The reaction mixture is filtered.
- The residue left on the filter paper is washed with distilled water several times to remove impurities.
- The residue is then moved to a warm oven to dry.